SOS: Sistas Organizing to Survive Conference:
The Florida Department of Health hosted the first SOS: Sistas Organizing to Survive conference in Orlando, FL. Almost 600 consumers, health providers, and community leaders participated in the event. Over 300 women actively pledged to engage in a statewide education network that encourages black women to become participatory in their own health. Objectives of the SOS conference:
• Educate black women about HIV/AIDS and how other STDs, hepatitis and substance abuse increase their risk
• Empower black women to take charge of and control of their sexual health
• Connect black women to HIV/AIDS resources
• Offer tools to enable black women to educate others where they live, work, play and worship
• Encourage black women to take a pledge to get tested for HIV and to educate others where they live, work, play, and worship
Our goal is to test 100,000 black women each year by 2010.